Subterranean termites in plum tree

Charles Hesselein chessele at acenet.auburn.edu
Wed Apr 3 10:17:27 EST 1996

In <4jks1r$3jm at news.netvoyage.net> sherrin at netvoyage.net (Paula Sherrin) writes:

>Does anyone out there know if subterranean termites can be eliminated
>without killing the tree.  It's half dead already with carpenter bees
>living in the trunk, but last summer it produced the most wonderful
>fruit.  Is there hope?

>Paula Sherrin  sherrin at netvoyage.net

Dear Paula:

My guess is that your tree is in such poor health at this point that even
if you could control the termites your tree would soon succumb to some
other disease or pest.  If your are fond of that particular plum try
grafting it onto another plum.

Good luck!

Chazz
*    Charles P. (Chazz) Hesselein         *
*    Extension Horticulturist, ACES       *
*    chesssele at acenet.auburn.edu          *
*    1-334-342-2366  fax: 1-334-342-1022  *