Help: eucalyptus trees

Virginia Appleman stdvla at shsu.edu
Thu Apr 4 13:10:53 EST 1996

As room plants, keep to the smaller species. Lots of Eucalyptus grow
really, really huge, so the cineraria and some of the mallee types are
really better for indoors than the blue gum or camaldulensis. Give the
sharp sand for tons of drainage, extra strong light (except the mallee)
and regular, but not copious drainage. They're pretty vigorous for
indoor plants. Start with a medium pot and bump them up each year to a
size larger, then keep them trimmed to that size. It'll dwarf them, but
that's the only way they'll keep indoors for long. Easy on the basic
13-13-13 fertilizer -- unless you want a Euc. forest in your house.
Good luck. Have you tried growing them outside? In S. Texas, below
Houston, I had a E. bungii taller than the house, which was root-hardy
to 12 degrees. It's your basic grove, now.