HELP! Gnats in houseplants/soil taking over!!!!!!

sheila trask sheilatrask at dartmouth.edu
Fri Apr 5 04:29:14 EST 1996

Kevin Bryant wrote:

> Our houseplants are being over-run by these nasty little gnats that
> are literally EVERYWHERE.

[snip]
> Any suggestions for specific treatments (other than throwing the
> plants away) will gladly be taken.

We had these nasty guys a few years ago.  Tried everything (diazinon spray,
washing & repotting, moving, etc.)  Even when they went away briefly, they
always came back.  But I refused to let go of the whole collection.

Then, we moved.  They've left and they have never returned.

 Moving may be a drastic measure (!) but I think these are some of the
differences that helped:  LOTS of space between plants (better air flow), LOTS
of indirect light (healthier plants), summertime spent outdoors for most of
the houseplants, less frequent watering for most plants.

 Or then again, maybe it was the ladybugs that moved in with us!

Good luck!
Sheila