HELP! Gnats in houseplants/soil taking over!!!!!!

orchids at communique.net orchids at communique.net
Sun Apr 7 10:56:06 EST 1996

kbryant at ucla.edu (Kevin Bryant) wrote:

>Our houseplants are being over-run by these nasty little gnats that
>are literally EVERYWHERE.  They seem to like the soil best, but one
>plant even has them swarming all over the pot.

>We've tried insecticide sprays (can't remember the chemical name) that
>kill them on contact, but lo and behold, a few weeks later they're
>back!

A biological larvicide in soil-drench formulation called 'Knock-Out
Gnats' is available from Gardens Alive! (5100 Schenley Place,
Lawrencenburg, IN  47025, 'phone 812-537-8650) for the current sale
price of $15 per pint (makes 48 gallons). Recommended application is
once a week for three weeks.

The catalog doesn't say, but I think this is based on a strain of BT.
I think it also available under the name Gnatrol. I have no experience
with this product under either name. Reports I've read have been very
favorable, however.

Note that this product is a larvicide, so you'll still have to deal
with the adults some other way.

Harold
Covington, LA, USA
USDA Zone 8b