Pine Nuts available?

Barrie Partridge barrie at cloud.net.au
Sun Apr 7 22:47:00 EST 1996

              Greetings from Port Franklin, friendliest place in Oz!

-=> Quoting lattanzi at postoffice.ptd.net to All <=-

 la> From: lattanzi at postoffice.ptd.net (Gregory D. Lattanzi)
 la> Organization: myself

 la> I am wondering at what time of year pine nuts are available.  I am not
 la> talking about the acorns, just the nuts from the acorns themselves.
 la> Thanks to anyone who can answer..

       It sounds as if you are somewhat confused here.  Unless there
       is a difference in the use of terms from what I know, then
       Acorns are the fruit of the Oak tree and Pine Nuts (also called
       Pine kernels) come from Pine cones, the fruit of the pine family
       trees.

       During WWII, as school children we used to be taken to collect
       acorns by the sackful for pigfeed, but were led to believe that
       they were poisonous to humans.  One or two kids tried biting
       them but reported then to be very bitter (which is quite
       different to being poisonous, but not really endearing!).

       The pine-nuts used in the kitchen come from only a few
       varieties of pine but I cannot tell you which ones.  However,
       the cone would have to be about to open before you could get at
       them, I would think, for, unless you have a parrot to do the
       job for you, opening a pine cone is an almost impossible task.

           Tweet tweet!  Time to go back on my perch now!
           Barrie, the Pear Tree Twit.

... Filbert: get Bert drunk!
~~~ Blue Wave/386 v2.20