Hibiscus Rosa

cliff bingham cwb at NetXpress.com
Thu Apr 11 13:31:23 EST 1996

sstevens at freenet.columbus.oh.us (Sharon Stevens) wrote:

>I know I asked in the Fall what to do with this potted plant. Now I would
>like to know when it can be taken outdoors again? It lost all of its
>foilage around late autumn to early winter. I scraped a limb and it is
>still green so I know it is still alive. Does anyone know about this
>flowering plant. shrub or whatever it is? The one I have is a double
>flower and it produced masses of blooms all summer and some of autumn even
>after I brought it in for the winter. I live in Columbus, Ohio.

I read a post here yesterday which said that as long as one end is in
the dirt there is hope.  The scrape test says it's still alive.   I
would take it outside as soon as you're sure it will not freeze again,
you might even spend some time of taking it out on the nice days and
back in when it is forecast to get close to cold.  That is the price
we pay for raising tropical plants out side of their environment.  As
soon as possible get it to a site which has full sun.  You might
consider planting it in the pot in the ground. That will allow you to
retrieve it in the fall.  A more reasonable solution is to toss it and
buy a new one in the spring.  When you consider the time and
frustration you have had keeping this one alive, $5 or even $10 would
not pay for your labor.  If you just enjoy the challenge then good
luck!  I raise Plumeria in San Antonio and go through the same goat
rope.