What is Irit?

Roger Whitehead rwhitehead at cix.compulink.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 16:58:17 EST 1996

> I am looking for information about a flower called 'Irit'. Is is
> supposed to grow in the Middle-East deserts. Can anyone provide me
> a pointer?
> The only thing I know is that it could be a member of the family of
> 'Asphodeline'. Thanks for your help.

"Irit" is Hebrew for Asphodel. For example, the Hebrew for Asphodelus
microcarpus can be transliterated as Irit Gadol - the Great Asphodel.

It may be similar in Arabic (both are Semitic languages, of course).

Asphodelus, on the other hand, is "Ironoh", which comes from the same
root as "Irit", if you see what I mean.

Roger

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
Tel: +44 (0)1883 713074; Fax: +44 (0)1883 716793
.