"Leaves" on Moss Gametophytes

Joseph F Gerrath jfgerrat at uoguelph.ca
Tue Apr 16 12:18:02 EST 1996

David Oppenheim (doppenhe at concentric.com) wrote:
: My entire high school AP Bio class was recently intrigued to hear that
: there was no known name for the "leaves" on mosses in the gametophyte
: stage. Our teacher told us that there was no name that she had ever
: found, and I was wondering if they are just called leaves, or if there
: is any other name? Thanks a lot!

:                                            David Oppenheim
:                                            oopy at aol.com

The technical term in bryophyte texts is "phyllid".  However, even my
bryologists friends normally call them leaves.

Joe Gerrath
Canadian Botanical Association