Help! measuring density

K N and P J Harris ecoli at
Sun Apr 28 03:57:05 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #1088, from liuh1 at, 625 chars, Wed  24 Apr 
1996 11:36:48
> ----------
> Article: 9609 of bionet.plants
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Path:!!btnet!!!!waikato!!TOKE!pc!liuh1
> From: liuh1 at (Huawu Liu)
> Subject: Help! measuring density
> Message-ID: <liuh1.46.000B9D6A at>
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:36:48
> Organization: Lincoln University, New Zealand
> X-Newsreader: Trumpet for Windows [Version 1.0 Rev A]
> Lines: 4
> Does anybody know about equipment of measuring density?
> I want to buy one, but am not ablt to find it.
> Thank you in advance.
> Harry
Hello Harry
I believe some old guy called Archimedes used a thing called a bath.
To find density you need a volume and a mass. Getting the mass shouldn't 
be too difficult. Getting the volume is most easily done by displacing 
water just like good ole Archi did. A beaker, glass, teacup should do 
it.Fill it up, drop your object in and measure (or weigh) what sploshes 

Best wishes,
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading, UK.

More information about the Plantbio mailing list