Help! measuring density

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 03:57:05 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #1088, from liuh1 at lincoln.ac.nz, 625 chars, Wed  24 Apr
1996 11:36:48
> ----------
> Article: 9609 of bionet.plants
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> From: liuh1 at lincoln.ac.nz (Huawu Liu)
> Subject: Help! measuring density
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:36:48
>
> Does anybody know about equipment of measuring density?
> I want to buy one, but am not ablt to find it.
> Thank you in advance.
> Harry

Hello Harry
I believe some old guy called Archimedes used a thing called a bath.
To find density you need a volume and a mass. Getting the mass shouldn't
be too difficult. Getting the volume is most easily done by displacing
water just like good ole Archi did. A beaker, glass, teacup should do
it.Fill it up, drop your object in and measure (or weigh) what sploshes
out.

Best wishes,
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,