Looking for deepest-breathing houseplants!

Brian Watson Brian.Watson at RubberAstic.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 07:35:54 EST 1996

Bob & Sandie Flett <bosin at iap.net.au> wrote:

>> Seriously, I've seen it said in various gardening mags that houseplants
>> (spider plants were mentioned specifically, I remember) can remove
>> various pollutants from the air, apart from CO2. Sounds well worth the
>> gamble if you live in a city!
>>
>> --
>> Alison Brooks

I seem to remember this being featured on a "Tommorrows World"
program. A company had developed a 'turbo' air cleaner. First they
tested the gasses present in an office and then selected from their
database of plants the ones that would most effectively reduce the
pollutants that were present. These plants were then supplied in a pot
than had an extractor fan underneath. The fan sucked air through the
soil. Apparrently the soil acts as a first point of adsorbtion. The
pollutants were dissolved in the water or oils within the soil. As the
plant takes up these solutions it 'digests' the pollutants into
harmless byproducts.

Technically of course CO2 is not a pollutant but a natural point in
the carbon cycle of life. It only really causes a problem when it
collects in high concentrations in the upper atmosphere causing the
Greenhouse effect. The real inner city pollutants such as Carbon
Monoxide, Sulphure Dioxide, Nitrogen Dioxide are truely harmful to
life and are the ones you should be looking for plants to remove.

Does anyone have a list of plants together with the pollutants they
are best at removing?

Brian
Brian Watson
All opinions expressed are my own and  not my employers

Brian.Watson at RuberAstic.co.uk