Age of aspen clone

Ray R. Hinchman hinchman at anl.gov
Fri Aug 2 18:11:21 EST 1996

In article <3200F17B.A1C at asu.edu>, "Samuel M. Scheiner"
<sam.scheiner at asu.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to track down a piece of botanical trivia. I recall hearing
> about a trembling aspen stand, all a single genet, that was estimated to
> be thousands of years old. However, I cannot find the details or the
> original source of this claim. Can anyone help? Thanks.

The article you seek is entitled "Genetic Variation and the Natural History
of Quaking Aspen" BioScience, Vol. 46, No. 1, Jan. 1996. It describes a
quaking aspen clone that is the most massive known organism at 6 million
kilograms, and is in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah, near Fish Lake. It also
has a name: Pando. Hope this helps.  Ray

| Ray R. Hinchman                               |
| Energy Systems Division - Bldg. 372           |
| Argonne National Laboratory                   |
| Argonne, IL   60439-4816  USA                 |
| Voice: (708) 252-3391  FAX: (708) 252-6407    |
| Internet/e-mail: hinchman at anl.gov             |