calathea

Neal R. Foster nealfost at umich.edu
Fri Aug 2 17:19:07 EST 1996

In article <4t9inp$8mj at sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com> mcintyr1 at ix.netcom.com(Patricia McIntyre ) writes:
>From: mcintyr1 at ix.netcom.com(Patricia McIntyre )
>Subject: calathea
>Date: 26 Jul 1996 04:48:57 GMT

>Hello,  I would like to get help on caring for my two different
>calatheas.  Both are surviving but neither one is doing well.  I also
>have several gingers and ground orchids. We all live in Ft.Lauderdale.
>Can anyone tell me of a specific news group I should be subscribing to.
> Thanks
>Penny McIntyre

Penny, I grow several species of Calatheas in moderate light with orchids,
ferns, bromeliads, and aroids in a leanto greenhouse in southeast Michigan.
Night temperatures 60 or so F, day temperature (nowadays) up into low 80's.
Through trial and error I've learned you should not let the Calatheas get too
dry.  Since I water just once a week, I put shallow saucers under each
(plastic) Calathea pot, so that their "feet" are kept wet for at least a day
or two after watering and the saucer underneath also keeps the medium in the
pot from drying out too fast. Since I started doing that, all my Calatheas
have been doing much better.

I'd be interested in finding out about U.S. sources for "rattlesnake Calathea"
seen in Crystal Garden in Victoria, B.C, or other sources for this interesting
group of plants.

--Neal Foster