DO PLANTS "FEEL" PAIN??????????

Eitan Rubin bcrubin at dapsas1.weizmann.ac.il
Sun Aug 4 04:19:55 EST 1996

I found your statement, "the more developed the being, the more
sensitive it is" rather problematic. How do you define developed? If you
define advanced by the number of expressed genes, for example, youy
might find some plants should be more sensitive to pain than any animal.
  Plants are not more or less developed than animals.  However, they
differ in at least one major factor, which has a major implication to
their sensory systems: Nearly all plants do not make sudden movements;
most cannot ritract their organs in response to damage, and none can run
away.  They can send chemicals to the demage/threat region on the short
term, and change their growth and gene expression pattern on a longer
term, in response to an outside attack. However, since the rates of such
pain pretty far to include them.

   Eitan Rubin.