What plant makes citronella?

Jari Oksanen jari at ibg.uit.no
Sat Aug 10 13:04:49 EST 1996

In article <4ue8o9$3m6 at mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net> J Kroin <hortus at worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Citronella is Collinsonia canadensis, also called horse balm. It is a
>native of Vermont to Ontario and Wisc. and south to FL and ARK. It is
>usually found in moist woods It can be grown in the wild garden. No so
>likely as a house plant It is grown from seed or division.

>benmedia at mail.emji.net wrote:
>>Snapshot35,
>>
>>I bought a _Pelargonium_citrosum_ cv. a couple of months ago
>>at Walmart...it is a mosquito repellent plant that smells
>>just like those Citronella candles.  _Pelargonium_ is the
>>genus that geraniums fall into.

Citronella is a many splendoured thing. The one I eat is the same as
lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus). The one that makes citronella oil is
Cymbopogon nardus. And then there is a Latin generic name Citronella in
Icacinaceae. From local floras you will find many, many more colloquial or
trade names. Make your pick.
--- Jari Oksanen Tromssa, Ruija / Romsa, Norga / Tromsø, Norge