Pokeweed/pokeberry question

gregory scot robins robinsgs at wfu.edu
Tue Aug 20 08:33:23 EST 1996

 We are trying to grow Phytolacca americana L. (Pokeweed or
Pokeberry) in the greenhouse.  However, we are not having much luck
getting the plant past the flowering stage.  The leaves are dying off in
mass and the whole plant looks bad. The soil mix is peat: top soil:
vermiculite (2:2:1) with a little perlite added as well.  We have
fertilized lightly with 20, 20, 20 Peters Salt solution.

        Any advice regarding the cultivation of this plant would be
appreciated.

                                        Thank you
                                        Greg Robins
                                        Wake Forest University