DWARF PLANTS

Anne Gillen ez049617 at rocky.ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 27 16:53:01 EST 1996

Perry d'Obrenan (perry_dobrenan at darwin.biochem.ualberta.ca) wrote:
: Can anyone tell me what causes a dwarf plant to remain in dwarf form?  For
: example, a Nest Spruce?

I do not know about Nest Spruce but it is common for dwarfing to be
caused by a mutation in genes involved in giberellin synthesis.
Giberellin is a plant hormone that among other things causes elongation
of internodes.  I have been told that this mutation occurs spontaneouly
and rather frequently in certain evergreen trees and is responsible for
the "witches broom"  at the top of some trees.