Help: bacteria / plant symbiosis

Raquel ccorreia at mail.telepac.pt
Mon Dec 2 17:43:34 EST 1996

Hi!!

I came across reference to a bacteria that causes nodes on roots of
certain plants while studying plant systematics, and became quite
curious. I wonder if anyone can help me.

This bacteria in particular, Rhizobium leguminosarum Frank, affects
the Leguminosae. My book said it was a symbiotic relation because the
plant gave organic matter while the bacteria would capture nitrogen
and employ it on the host.

Does anyone know where I can find any info on this? Can you help me
yourselves?

I'd like to know wether it has anything to do with that Agrobacterium
I've seen discussed here often, and also details on how that symbiosis
occurs, and advantages or disadvantages of it.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)
Best wishes

Raquel Correia

Estudante / student
  Instituto Superior de Agronomia
  Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa
  Portugal

(The opinions expressed above are not necessarily shared by
 this institution)