Plant Embryogenesis

Scott D. Russell srussell at ou.edu
Mon Dec 2 14:51:19 EST 1996

In article <1996Dec2.161505 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, rmewing at molbiol.ox.ac.uk wrote:
>Mammalian embryos undergo recapitulation of phylogeny (e.g devlopment of
>vestigial gills...temporarily) during development.
>
>Has anyone studied this during plant embryogenesis?
>
>Any ideas?

First, I presume you are meaning flowering plants??  If so, Soueges published
hundreds of papers on the early divisions of plant embryogenesis in the 1920s
and 1930s looking specifically for the type of patterns that you are
interested in.  Unfortunately, he found little.  There are currently less
than 10 generally recognized patterns of early embryo development in
angiosperms.  Although they are reasonably conserved in given taxon, there are
families that have as many as three different major types--which is too many
to support a hypothesis that this is truly conservative.

If you are referring to forming a filament before forming a parenchymatous
mass, this is a trend.  This does recapitulate concepts of the
evolution of plants, unfortunately, it als recapitulates development of form
from one cell.  It is impossible to divide and form a parenchymatous mass
without passing through a transitory "filamentous" stage (two cells
adhering end-to-end) Not too informative!!  Sorry....

Scott D. Russell                     Internet:  srussell at ou.edu
Dept of Botany & Microbiology      ->http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/
 & Noble Electron Microscopy Lab   ->http://www.ou.edu/research/electron/
University of Oklahoma, Norman OK    Phone:  1-405-325-6234
 73019-0245   USA                    FAX:    1-405-325-7619