AIDS/HIV Research

Andy Apel apel at sbt.net
Wed Dec 4 05:28:23 EST 1996

8-Q wrote:

> gw035 at alpha2.mdx.ac.uk (Graham White) wrote:
>
> >Hello
>
> >I am a student of Herbal Medicine at Middlesex University, London. I am
> >doing some research for one of the lecturers (a pharmacognosist) who
> >would like to contact Institutions or Companies that are screening herbs/
> >plant products for anti-HIV activity. he is particularly interested in
> >contacting people working in Africa/Asia on traditional medicinal plants.
>
> >Thanks for any help
>
> Perhaps you should consider looking a chinese and eastern fungal
> remedies.  Shitake and Reishi have been hailed as having powerful
> beneficial effects on the human immune system.  One of the proved
> effects of eating these is a rise blood interferon levels, shitake
> actually contains beta-interferon.
> >Graham White
> >hendongreen at gn.apc.org
> >gw035 at mdx.ac.uk

You might want to check with New York University--they've been doing
work with NIH, and came up with three different anti-HIV plant proteins
they're offering for license to pharmaceutical companies.  Elaine Gese
at (301) 496-7056, ext. 282 may be able to point you in the right
direction.
--Andy Apel, asst. ed.
Biotech Reporter.