mycorrhizae tolerance to fertilizer

Wayne Smith smiths at
Fri Dec 6 07:55:20 EST 1996

December 6, 1996

We have been working with ectomycorrhizae for conifer reforestation tree
seedlings. Some nurseries use very high fertilizer concentrations (100 to
600 mg N/L). I am looking for some information on the effects of these
levels on ectomycorrhizae. We believe that as long as the fungus is present
(even if slightly inhibited by high fertilizer concentrations), then it
will grow and benefit the seedling after it leaves the nursery and is
planted into sometimes very harsh reforestation sites.

If anyone has any experience which may be related, I would be very
interested to hear about it.