HELP WITH MY POINSETTA

Richard Wagner Dick at rmy.emory.edu
Tue Dec 10 08:50:58 EST 1996

dannyoneal at aol.com wrote:

> Last year my wife bought a Poinsetta and has babied it through the year in
> hopes that it would produce big beautiful red leaves.  To her dismay all
> it has done is become big and green(healthy though).
>
> Is this normal?  Can it be corrected?  Do the red leaves only appear once?
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Please E-Mail author.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

Pionsettias are short day plants. That is, flower initiation follows
after a month or two of days less than 12 hours in length. The flowers
are the usual small euphorbia types, subtended by bracts which we
usually call flowers. Commerially, these plants are started from
cuttings in June, and grown very quickly for a few months, after which
they are given artifical darkness for about 15-16 hours a day.

Dick Wagner