Help on Electronegativity

Jonathan B. Marder MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
Wed Dec 11 03:03:19 EST 1996

In article <58i2bt$5c8 at dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>,
   d_micro at ix.netcom.com(Michael L Roginsky ) wrote:
>In <01bbe60a$98f9f4c0$80fb7880 at ucdavis.edu> "Need Help"
><aqdang at ucdavis.edu> writes:
>>
>>In which ways is electronegativity connected and important to life?
>For
>>instance electronegative is need for plasma membrane.  Is there any
>other
>>examples of how electronegative is useful?
>>
>We are living antennas, not to mention the static electricity caused by
>rubbing our feet on the carpet at low humidity. Am I missing your
>point? Mike Roginsky.

I'm amazed at how the only responses to this thread so far do indeed appear
(IMHO) to have missed the point.

Electronegativity relates to OXIDATION-REDUCTION potential. More
electronegative substances reduce (transfer electrons to) less electronegative
substances. This is basic to many biochemical processes, especially
respiration and photosynthethesis. My suggestion to the original poster is to
go to a biological/biochemical text and look up the energetics of these
processes.

Jonathan B. Marder             ,      Department of Agricultural Botany
E-mail: MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il |      The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Phone: (08 or +9728) 9481918   | /\/  Faculty of Agriculture
Fax:   (08 or +9728) 9467763   |/  \  P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL
     http://www.agri.huji.ac.il/~marder