Olive Tree in my yard!

Veronica vrg at post1.com
Mon Dec 16 12:02:36 EST 1996

If the fruit is yellow and beginning to turn green in December, I
doubt that you have an olive.  Olive fruits are green through October
or November when they start to turn reddish to purple to deep purple,
almost black as the fall/winter season progresses.  Things may be a
bit different in San Diego, but I've not seen an olive go from yellow
to green.

In any case, pressing olive oil is not like pressing other fruit
juices, it involves extremely high pressures to get the job done
effectively, not something for the home gardener in most cases.
Preparing olive fruits is fairly straightforward, but takes time.  The
most common process involves treatment in lye for a while (typically,
12-24 hrs), washing out the lye (takes about a week of 4 to 6 a day
changes of water) and storing in a brine.  There are many other ways
to get the bitterness out, seems like every Mediterranean culture has
developed a variation; most involve either lye or salt.  You can get
some excellent table olives with just a bit of work, much better than
the stuff that is sold as California black olives, whick are really
virtually immature green oilves, picked when they are still very firm,
but well before they develop their peak flavor, and are usually dyed
with iron salts to give them the black color.

In any case, it doesn't sound like you have an olive tree.  Perhaps
they grow differently in San Diego, but here in northern Calif, they
don't go from yellow to green.