What kind of light plants prefers ?

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 20 17:04:48 EST 1996

In <Pine.SUN.3.91.961219090627.2080A-100000 at kira> Amy Knutson
<aknutson at PEAK.ORG> writes:

>Perhaps he mentioned these because regular incandescent bulbs are high
in
>the red spectrum but deficient in the blue which is necessary for
>vegetative growth. Flourescents and lights made especially for plants
are
>adequate but lower in intensity and less efficient than high-intensity

>discharge lamps. Your choice of light system should depend on your
crop
>needs. For tropical fruit-bearing plants, such as citrus or bananas,
your
>best bet would probably be high-pressure sodium lamps.
>
>-Amy Knutson
>The Growing EDGE Magazine
>341 S.W. 2nd Street
>P.O. Box 1027
>Corvallis, OR 97339
>541-757-8477

Amy....I have to inject my experience in growing seedlings from pots to
have an early start. Ordinary fluorescents avoid producing UV because
it damages the eyes like sunlight. Fluorescent "grow" lights provide
some of the UV to get seedlings going. Before they are fully
transplanted to the garden they require a moderate exposure to the sun
to "harden" to the high UV content of sunlight. BTW this UV damages our
skin and eyes but is needed to generate our own vitamin D. Since milk
is enriched, no need to tan. Skin ages less quicly. -:) Micro.