Southern Hemosphere Vines

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 25 16:15:59 EST 1996

In <mikalineE2uoDu.KEE at netcom.com> mikaline at netcom.com (m.lee) writes:

>Michael L Roginsky (d_micro at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>} In <32BAC1C5.359B at internetnorth.com.au> Andrew Sinclair
>} <andrews at internetnorth.com.au> writes:
>} >
>} >It has been observed that in out area vines grow clockwise up
trees.
>} Is
>} >this the same in other parts of Australia or do they grow
>} ant-clockwise
>} >in the Northern Hemisphere? CAn someone from there check and tell
us?
>} >-----------------------------------------------------------------
>} >Andrew Sinclair	     andrews at internetnorth.com.au
>} >WebMaster	     Internet North Pty Ltd Ph 070 33 23 11
>} >Ph 018 793 589	     http://www.internetnorth.com.au/andrews/
>} >-----------------------------------------------------------------
>} This one I qualify to answer. Because of the earth's rotation a
>} secondary effect force (secondary only because is small in flight
>} computations) called Coryollis effect causes the vortex caused by
>} draining a sink or tub to turn "counterclockwise" - looking down on
it
>} in the northern hemisphere. Vines will do the same around trees. Of
>} course as an engineer I use my right hand fist with the thumb up as
the
>} direction of the twist looking from bottom up. Likewise the effect
is
>} reversed in the southern hemisphere, or thumb down in my analogy. I
was
>} born and raised 1/2 degree south of the equator and the vines grew
as I
>} stated. Also did the water vortex on the sink. Cheers...-:)
MAD.Micro

>It was my observation in the island nations of the South Pacific that
the
>direction of the drain vortex was more a function of the fixture.
>
>ml
Sorry ml, Coryollis forces are as predictable as gravity. On a free
flowing vortex, it spins as a function of the hemisphere. It is
possible that a peculiar drain design may modify the vortex behavior,
but not the vines. If you don't believe me, try to reverse the
direction of a vine growing up a tree. Unless restrained it will do the
coil direction per the Coryollis effect. You may also search your
encyclopedia at the library, or ask any secondary science teacher.
Cheers... MAD.SCIENTIST.Micro at d_micro at ix.netcom.com