Amelanchier lamarckii

Sten Porse porse at post3.tele.dk
Thu Dec 26 16:49:24 EST 1996

carlkop at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Who knows if Amelanchier lamarckii caries spines?

Sir!

No Amelanchier carries spines. A.lamarckii has ovate leaves with a
finely saw-toothed edge. The leaves turn scarlet during october (this is
in Denmark!).

I am sure you will not be able to find any berries on Amelanchier at
this time. They are very tasty to birds and humans alike, so they should
be long gone by now.

Red berries on spiny branches is almost certainly a sign of Crataegus,
Common Blackthorn, so your son has got the wrong plant (and/or the wrong
name).

Please excuse my belated answer. I has been Christmas and all...

Kindly

Sten Porse