Amelanchier lamarckii

Sten Porse porse at
Thu Dec 26 16:49:24 EST 1996

carlkop at wrote:
> Who knows if Amelanchier lamarckii caries spines?

No Amelanchier carries spines. A.lamarckii has ovate leaves with a
finely saw-toothed edge. The leaves turn scarlet during october (this is
in Denmark!).

I am sure you will not be able to find any berries on Amelanchier at
this time. They are very tasty to birds and humans alike, so they should
be long gone by now.

Red berries on spiny branches is almost certainly a sign of Crataegus,
Common Blackthorn, so your son has got the wrong plant (and/or the wrong

Please excuse my belated answer. I has been Christmas and all...

Sten Porse