Help me with Latin plant name

Mike Barnes diversft at magicnet.net
Sun Dec 22 10:55:07 EST 1996

Philippe Juneau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a WEB site or a book where I can find the "Translation" of
> Latin plant name in english. (Exemple: Hordeum vulgarea -> Barley).
>
> If you can help me please send me a message.
>
> Tank you very much
>
> Philippe Juneau

The book I probably use most is:

"Hortus Third", by Cornell University for its L.H. Bailey Hortorium, c.
1976 by Macmillan Publishing Co.

Main text is indexed by the botanical name with common names provided
where known, there's also a common name index as an appendix.  Be
forewarned - it's large & pricey (mine retailed at $135, but can be
found substantially less by shopping around & checking book clubs,
etc.).

Mike