Southern Hemosphere Vines (Hemisphere)

Garry Williams gdwill at
Sat Dec 28 08:38:01 EST 1996

d_micro at L Roginsky ) wrote:

>In <Pine.SUN.3.91.961226125514.24649B-100000 at kira> Amy Knutson
><aknutson at PEAK.ORG> writes:
>>Is this effect the reason that trees also grow around in a particular
>>direction (I think it's counterclockwise in this Northern Hemisphere;
>>I'll have to look again).?
>>-Amy K.
>Amy......just look at your satelite picture of a weather
>the northern hemisphere it winds couter-clockwise (looking at the top).
>In the southern hemisphere the rotation is clockwise per the suggested
>example......That's the way it is! MAD.SCIENTIST.Micro

However, as another poster noted, many vining plants have their
direction of growth determined genetically, rather than by Coriolis
effect. Plants are organized differently than draining water or
spinning weather systems, something to keep in mind when formulating
theories about their behavior... ;-)

Garry Williams
 gdwill at or
 gdwill at