mycorrhizae tolerance to fertilizer

brateaver at aol.com brateaver at aol.com
Tue Dec 31 05:41:50 EST 1996

Okay, This young man is willing to listen, I gather, yes???

Let's start with what he thinks, correctly that what I say runs counter to
what he has been learning. I am trying to get the plant world people to
wake up and see what the new information is. The ion business IS old, and
it IS promoted by chemical suppliers, there is no getting around it. They
are the ones who say their salts, that ionize instantly when moist,
provide the ions. and the profs who get paid for researching by grants,
yes really, go right ahead and make all those gorgeous theories about ion
absorption.
   So the only fair thing to do, when one hears a new idea, is to FIND OUT
if it is true. Get to the new research literature with an open mind, and
see for yourself. If I say whole molecules can be absorbed, metal
particles or plastic beads are absorbed, and clearly they are not ions,
why doesn't this young man check the literature to see if this is true? So
if the profs he knows are wrong, they are wrong, so what? Just learn the
new facts.

On this point of absorption, start looking for endocytosis in plants. Even
the people who have done the research and published their photos, have
apparently been so battered that now they are apparently scared andjoining
others to ask if maybe the photos are not really showing what they appear
to show.
  So the answer to that is this: All the endo work was done first on
human/animal tissue. All the photos were clear, everybody who read this
was intrigued, but NO ONE SAID IT WAS NOT SO. If you see the coated pits,
you see the steps when they move out of the membrane, etc. you have to
agree that what you see is what you see.

  But, step on the toes of the chemical people when it comes to
PLANTS--oh, ohhhhh no, can't really be true, can it? Just think, if it
isn't all run by ions and the ion theories, what are we going to do for
grants from the chemical companies?????
    You can see the same type photos as in the human/animal photos, you
see the same steps of coated pit formation, etc., but oh dear, it just
must not be the same deal, somehow, it just mustn't, because that will
upset everything.
   Oh Dear, so let's think of all the possibilities of how it could be not
really truly the same as in animal/human tissue, even tho the photos look
the same. Oh dear..

Mr. Williams, this is just exactly why I went to the terrific expense of
having those photos made for the Primer UPDATE, and why I coaxed the
researchers so hard to let me have the photos for the book. The very best,
largest enlargements were from a Britisher, and he refused me the right to
use them in the UPDATE, but did allow me to use them for the big IFOAM
meeting held that year in  Burkina Faso, as  POSTER only.

However the Fowke photos were so good that I see the people now worried
about what will happen to them if they insist endocytosis occurs in plants
were all using his photos, just as I did.  Apparently most of academia
must have landed on them with all 4 feet and scared them into trying all
kinds of possible explanations why what is so clear in photos of
animal/human tissues and well accepted, just dare not be true in plants
even if the photos are the same/similar.

It is just in anticipation of that , that for the next book, the Primer
BASICS, I was lucky enough to get the original animal/human photo man to
give me a sketch of the routine in animal/human tissue, so I could
juxtapose them in the BASICS book and force readers to see the similarity.

It is just as silly as if someone suddenly made a shoe that looked like
any other shoe and fit like one and stayed on the foot like one and felt
like a shoe, but it could not be accepted as a shoe because of-----some
silly reason in the shoe business that was afraid the new item would
destroy their well founded, well-paying shoe business.

I don't want this to get too long to cause some technical
problems--whatever they may be, so I shall continue on another post. But I
hope this makes it clear to the young man that he should get to the
library, punch some keys and find out why I say what I do.
 I am aware that by publishing such distinctive and exacting data in
garden literature that is going around the world, I am going to cause
upsets, but that is OK. The organic movement that I started caused all
kinds of ruckus, but it started things on the right track, so now almost
every campus in the US has an organic course. It not longer is a crime to
teach organic method.

To tell the world about endocytosis in plants is just as upsetting to
academia as the idea of getting university degree credit for an organic
gardening course, but I did it, so I am not afraid of all the violent and
strident slaps in the face I get for this, either.

As "they" say--pioneers are always slaughtered.

B. Rateaver