mycorrhizae tolerance to fertilizer

Eric Grunden egrunden at prairienet.org
Tue Dec 31 00:22:32 EST 1996

In a previous article, gdwill at earthlink.net (Garry Williams) says:

>Frankly, I don't see any difference in tone between "Your extreme
>bitterness about the grant process..." and "E.Grunden is still stuck
>in the old..." Perhaps one or both of you see it differently, but I
>thought each was merely stating what s/he thinks to be the case. Had
>poster X stated that poster Y was a slime sucking maggot, I could see
>one calling it a personal flame attack, however from here it just
>looks like one party is pointing out a difference of opinion from the
>other party. How is this a  "personal flame attack"?

			*******

You are correct, there is no difference. My statement was written
in frustration after time and again "Dr." Rateaver used my name
in association with statements like "assonine", "silliest thing
I ever heard", "idiotic", and after his prolonged bashing of
academia. If he wants to discuss mycorrhizae, fine. If he wants
to foward discourteous comments and vent hostility, I recommend
he try alt.bitterness.

			*******

>What happened to the exchange of ideas and information? If someone
>doesn't agree with you, you just run away instead of answering the
>questions?
			*******

Yes, that's what I asked.  Questions? I didn't see any. Only answers
that insinuate that academia's answers are too biased by the chemical
industry to be true. I recognize that I am only a student, and that he
supposedly has all this experience he speaks about, but the majority of
his statements are so far from the realities that I've experienced thus
far, that I don't even know how to begin to reply. Plus he uses some
strange esoteric logic (ie. mycorrhizae didn't evolve..... they are a
part of all creation...) that I don't understand.

			*******

>I for one am deeply disappointed. How am I supposed to get
>a balanced point of view and enough information to make informed
>decisions when those that are supposed to know the most take all their
>marbles and go home just because they thought someone called them a
>"bad" name?   =:o  I hope that you aren't really as thin-skinned as
>you lead us to believe with the above paragraph and that you will do
>us the honor of replying to the points made by Dr. Rateaver (and not
>to any real or imagined personal barbs). As a volunteer Master
>Gardener I have hands-on experience with several different approaches
>to growing plants, and I hoped to learn some more of the theory behind
>these methods by listening to the debates of my betters, but now it
>seems as if I and others will be denied that opportunity because
>stroking the human ego is more important than honest, open discussion
>of scientific information and ideas. What a shame!

			*******

Okay, fair enough. I too desire a well balanced point of view from my
betters. I realize that I appear the bad guy, opposed to organic methods
and wanting to pollute the planet, in this thread. I assure you that is
not the case. As I've stated previously, I would love to see mycorrhizae
(and mycoparasites) incorporated as biological methods in agronomic
operations. I have only tried to be a realist based on my very limited
knowledge and experience. My ego does not need stroked, but it also does
not need to be called an idiot either. I will go back and read the post
that you mention and consider whether to give my comments or not.
Meanwhile, I would like to hear any and all ideas about specific
research that you all feel needs to be done to clear up the controversy
on the topic. I will be starting grad. school next fall, and will
most likely be focussing my research on mycorrhizae. I guarentee that
I do not accept money from the chemical companies, unless the Pell Grant
and student loan programs are in on the conspiracy as well  ;>