Transpiration Experiment Data

bio_hannan at emuvax.emich.edu bio_hannan at emuvax.emich.edu
Thu Feb 1 18:42:05 EST 1996

In article <3109581D.6276 at ibl.bm>, Roderick Ferguson <rafergus at ibl.bm> writes:
> Hello, my name is Roderick Ferguson and I am currently carrying out an
> experiment investigating the effects of wind speed (or airflow)and surface
> area on the rate of transpiration.  By posting to this newsgroup earlier I
> received some extremely useful information to base my prediction on.
>
> I would really appreciate any secondary data for my experiment.  More
> precisely, I would appreciate any data that you know of from an experiment
> involving either surface area or wind speed.  I would be quite happy to
> receive even simple information to do with the specific relationship (ie
> proportionality or an equation) between either surface area or wind speed and
> the rate of transpiration.
>
> Thank you in advance for your kind responses,
>
> Roderick Ferguson
I have used a computer simulation of transpiration for quite a few years now,
and the model I use (taken from Park Nobel Biophysical Plant Ecology) predicts
a very rapid increase in transpiratino rate with even 1mph air flow,
apparently because of the removal of the humid boundary layer from the
surface of the leaf.  Leaf size (and therefore area) allows a thicker boundary
layer to develop, so I imagine the effect of wind would be even more
dramatic on large leafes than on small ones.

Gary Hannan