How to kill a tree?

Stephen Chalmers chuckc at albury.net.au
Mon Feb 12 04:56:39 EST 1996

Some time ago, in a galaxy surprisingly close to this
one,Phil_Graham at mindlink.net (Phil Graham) wrote:

>In article <4fg2b9$meu at news.be.innet.net> Dirk Mermans <dmermans at innet.be> writes:
>>From: Dirk Mermans <dmermans at innet.be>
>>Subject: Re: How to kill a tree?
>>Date: 9 Feb 1996 18:04:25 GMT

>>Do the following.

>>By a weedkiller on a 245 D base, this product is related
>>to the orange agent they used in Vietnam.

>>Take a brush, and brush the concentrated product in a circle
>>around the stem about 1 meter above ground level.

>>It's very hard to find traces of the product, because
>>it works as a hormone. When you use gasoline the hole
>>can be found, and the smell wil stay for a while.

>Don't believe it - 2,4-D is easy to trace, and the damage is almost
>unmistakeable.  I missed the start of this thread, so I'm guessing the tree is
>on somebody else's property.  Ever try talking nicely?  Beats the heck out of
>dealing through lawyers.

Phil, here is the original, and some followup stuff:-
{quote}
tiburon at westworld.com wrote:

>I have wrestled with this problem for quite some time.  Killing trees to
>me is like burning books, but I'm at the end of my rope (or branch).

>There is a city pine tree which has grown out of control, has destroyed
>the sidewalk and two drives, falling branches have damaged a dozen cars,
>not to mention broken several home windows from the hard cones being
>thrown in the wind.  How the city managers ever let this species be
>planted is beyond me.

>The city has refused to even prune the tree in over 15 years and will only
>touch it if it is sick or dead.  I love trees and want to see something a
>little more appropriate in its place, which the city would do, IF there
>was something wrong with the one in place.

>But now, how do we go about killing it clandestinely so that it wouldn't
>be immediately apparent to the city?  Ideas?  People with similar
>problems?

>Help!

Look, I don't know what you're worried about. Where I work, "tree
lovers" (aka responsible citizens) kill the poor buggers at an
exponential rate without any comeback at all.

Any registered (and quite a few unregistered) herbicides will do the
trick. We are always trying to pin down tree murderers, but unless we
actually have a witness to the act, we're stymied. You can't test
tissue or soil for *any* chemical, you have to give the lab afairly
specific idea of exactly what chemical to look for. This makes it
really hard for us (the good guys) to make an example of the >low
life, inconsiderate,  environment depleting, avenue and boulevarde
murderers that abound in every locale.

Other than that, I really like them :-) And I hope you arent one.
{end quote}

That should fill you in !

Stephen Chalmers         |"Bother!" said Pooh as he realised
Lavington NSW            |that his leg cutter had failed to
Australia                |lure the cunning Piglet into a
chuckc at albury.net.au     |false stroke.