post-doctoral position

Michael R. MULLIGAN RMMULLIG at UCI.EDU
Mon Feb 12 14:22:18 EST 1996

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN RNA EDITING IN PLANTS

We are interested in RNA editing in plant mitochondria and chloroplasts.  RNA
editing is a post-transcriptional process that converts cytidines to uridines,
and consequently changes the amino acid specified by a codon.  As a result, the
DNA encodes genes with "mistakes" that are corrected post-transcriptionally by
editing.  My lab is funded for two projects- one project addresses the
consequences of incomplete editing.  Some populations of transcripts are highly
heterogeneous as a result of incomplete editing.  We have recently shown (Plant
Cell 8:107) that both unedited and edited ribosomal protein subunit 12 mRNAs are
translated, but only the edited translation products assemble into ribosomes.
The incompletely edited translation products, which have aberrant amino acid
residues, fail to accumulate as ribosomal subunits and are free in the matrix.
A second project in the lab addresses mechanistic aspects of the editing
process.  Funding for a post-doctoral scientist is available through grants from
the USDA and Human Frontiers Science Program.  Applicants should send their
resume, statement of research interests, and names and addresses of three
referees to:

Dr. R. Michael Mulligan
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology
University of California
Irvine, CA  92717
****
    Located six miles from the ocean in Orange County, UCI is in the center of a
flourishing high technology and cultural center.  The campus is very strong in
biomedical research.  We are an equal opportunity employer committed to
excellence through diversity.