ph of soils and its affects on plants

Jennifer Wright ez023517 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 15 01:28:54 EST 1996

Hello,

Your experiment depends on what type of soil you are using.  If you are
using field soil, there are different problems that will arise that if
you were to use regular potting mix which is more often than not
considered to be a "soil-less" mix.  Your pH's may not give you many
results either.  I think that plants generally like the soil to be in the
range of 5.5 to 6.5 and this number also varies depending on if you are
using field soil or potting mix.  Many of the problems associated with pH
are those of its effects on the nutrients in the soil.  At lower pH Mn
and Al become freed and can cause toxicity problems or can bind to other
nutrients and make those nutrients unavailable.  I suggest checking into
some soil science books.  If you cannot find anything tell me and I can
copy some stuff I have.

Good luck :)
Jen Wright