threat of exotics in the natural landscape

Marco_Bleeker mbleeker at euronet.nl
Sat Feb 24 02:27:06 EST 1996

cauntermann at ucdavis.edu (Chris Untermann) wrote:

>Does anyone out there have any information that would be relevant to the
>idea of exotic plants threatning native plants.  Things such as brush and
>pampus grass.  If anybody has any info or has had problems with this
>please reply.

Hi, I know of 2 cases of such invasive plants. Rhododendron in Ireland
tends to make the soil acid and suppresses any other forest
undergrowth, even till years after the Rhodos are removed. In Holland,
we have a problem with Prunus serotina, "American Bird Cherry", which
is also very invasive and tends to suppres the indigenous Bird Cherry,
Prunus padus.

<mbleeker at euronet.nl>---------------------<Marco Bleeker, Amsterdam, NL>
<CHEZ MARCO'S BOTANY PAGES>------<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
<Plants Programs Pictures>--------------------<need table aware browser>