Cactus Grafting

Mendocino Middle School Lab search at mcn.org
Thu Feb 29 13:46:44 EST 1996

To whom it may concern,

I am an 8th grade school attending the Mendocino Middle school, on the
coast of Northern California. I am doing a project on succulents grafting
(cactus etc). I once saw a National Geographic presentation on cacti
grafting and it seemed like a very interesting topic for a project.
Because of that presentation I have decided to conduct this experiment. So
far I have found nothing about this process, concerning succulents. I have
only been able to find information on the grafting of fruit trees etc.

My main question is:
How do you graft a cactus?
Here are some more specific questions I would like answered if possible...

1. What are some of the different slits/cuts used when grafting cacti?
2. What are the most common types of cacti used for grafting?
3. What are the tools used when grafting cacti?

I already know:
€A lot about cactus¹ them selves; their structures, etc.
€I know many of the different slits used for grafting trees such as; a
cleft, a splice, a whip or tongue, and a saddle.

If you have any information concerning this topic it would be greatly
appreciated. I am also interested in any internet sites which may contain
information about my topic.

We at the MMS are putting together a list of previously written letters by
subject matter, and would be happy to add your corresspondence to the list

*if* you give your approval. You need to tell us whether or not you wish
to include your name and/or return e-mail address with the letters so that
other students who are interested in the topic in the future might get in
touch with you or at least know who wrote the letter. If you would like to
see previously written letters, they are at the Electronic Dialogue Achive
(EDA) being compiled at http:

//www.mcn.org./ed/earch

under the curriculum section, by Mitch Sprague.

Please respond at: search at mcn.org

Thank You!
Solange Roberdeau

--
This message sent from the Mendocino Middle School Lab
Please write postmaster at mail.mms.mendocino.k12.ca.us if