Will you help me please????????

stephen fitzgerald stephenf at netspace.net.au
Thu Jan 4 09:01:17 EST 1996

HeK at hetta.pp.fi (Henriette Kress) wrote:
>Some corrections and additions... (?)
>
>In article <4c809c$5ev at peach.america.net>, ranger at america.net says...
>>
>>wild oats =
>over here that would be Avena fatua, which is a weed in the oats
>fields, much higher than A.sativa, and they _really_ try to erase
>it... they have people walk thru fields and rip out every single
>A.fatua they see. Could be another species over there.
>
>>tea tree  =  the common tea is Thea sinensis and related
>>   species
>
>.... tea tree is NOT Thea sp. but Melaleuca sp. - I guess you'd say
>tea bush if you meant Thea.

I don't offer any further help on this subject accept to point out that
as the above experts would know, plant common names are notoriously
inacurate for communicating information about plants - especially on an
international level. For instance wild oat may be Avena fatua in one
country or village and a completely different and unrelated plant in
another. To say that tea-tree is NOT Thea sp. is very presumptious.
Unless you have a knowlege of the local context of a plant's common name
you can't be entirely sure. There are NO world authorities on all common
names as far as I know. I live in Australia where Melaleuca is native and
have never heard it called Tea-tree (its most common common name is
paper-bark) In Australia Tea-tree (probably more correctly 'Ti-tree') is
Leptospermum spp. Many medicinal uses have been described for the oil of
this tree.

So without being too pedantic; be carefull where common names are used.

Steve

ps does anybody know the botanical name of Dusty miller ?  :)