medicinal plants

Henriette Kress HeK at hetta.pp.fi
Sat Jan 6 04:40:53 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960105110026.755A-100000 at zebra>,
s001ipf at discover.wright.edu says...

>        I am wondering if you could please send me any of your thoughts on
>what would be good examples (living) of medicinal plants to show
>students.

... where do you live? Over here in Finland the only medicinals I could
go get right now (from under the snow...) is Juniperus communis, or
Pinus sylvestris, or Picea abies. Could make a syrup of green twigs
I guess... if I hadn't done that early last summer when the twigs had
new growth.

Come May I could go get fresh Hepatica leaves (which I won't because
the species is endangered), or fresh nettles (Urtica) (which I will
anyway because it tastes great), or fresh this or that... lots of
stuff available when nature is green.

...to show students. Try Meadowsweet flowers and flowerbuds
(Filipendula ulmaria), or Valeriana root (tehehe) or Dandelion leaves
or root (Taraxacum) - have your students feel, smell, and TASTE these.
Either fresh, or dried, or as a tea, or as a tincture. (BTW another
post in this thread mentioned Digitalis... don't let them taste
that one. I wouldn't. And haven't.
Michael Moore probably has, though... experiences? Just how toxic
is the stuff, and what are the effects?)

--
Henriette Kress         mailto:HeK at hetta.pp.fi        Helsinki, Finland.
http://sunsite.unc.edu/herbmed FTP: sunsite.unc.edu or sunsite.sut.ac.jp