toxicity information

Roger Granet rag55 at cas.org
Wed Jan 10 19:45:51 EST 1996

In article <4ck5pj$9pr at cloner3.netcom.com>, icfke at ix.netcom.com(Don Kellett ) writes:

> I have run into a dead end in a search for toxicity and/or exposure
> information for plants and the following list of organic chemicals.
> Any information or references provided would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Don Kellett
> ICF Kaiser Engineers
> Lakewood, CO
> icfke at ix.netcom.com
>
> CHEMICALS
> butylbenzylphthalate
> di-n-butylphthalate
> 4,4'DDE
> 4,4'DDT
> anthracene
> benzo[b]fluoranthene
> fluoranthene
> naphthalene
> phenanthrene
> pyrene

Don,

    Hi.  One good online source of plant toxicity information is STN, the
Science and Technical Information Network, produced by the organization I work
at, Chemical Abstracts Service.  There are many files (CA, CAplus, Toxline,
Toxlit, Biosis, etc.) on STN with the kind of information you're looking for.
One good strategy to use might be:

1. In the Registry file, search for the chemical name (anthracene, for
   instance) and get the associated CA Registry number.

2. As M. Lee mentioned in a related posting, once you have this Registry
   number, you can use it to search in other abstract-containing files, like
   CAplus, in combination with search terms like toxicity, plants, etc.  to
   find the kind of information you're interested in.

    For instance, using this method for anthracene, a couple of interesting
looking recent abstracts in file CAplus were:

o TI   Increased polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon toxicity following their
       photomodification in natural sunlight: impacts on the duckweed Lemna
       gibba L. G-3
  AU   Huang, Xiao-Dong; Dixon, D. George; Greenberg, Bruce M.
  SO   Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. (1995), 32(2), 194-200

o TI   Evaluation of peroxidase as a biochemical indicator of toxic
       chemical exposure in the aquatic plant Hydrilla verticillata, Royle
  AU   Byl, Tom D.; Sutton, Heather D.; Klaine, Stephen J.
  SO   Environ. Toxicol. Chem. (1994), 13(3), 509-15
  CC   4-3 (Toxicology)
  My Note: Studies toxicity of anthracene and other chemicals by using peroxidase
	   assay.

    A lot of people think that Chemical Abstracts and STN have only purely
chemical information, but, a third of all the abstracts (journals, patents,
conference proceedings, etc.) we put out every year come from our bio-related
areas and include plant toxicity abstracts like the above ones.

    Well, I hope this is of some help!  Good luck!

							       Roger

Roger Granet                                 Phone: (614) 447-3600, ext. 2346
Associate Scientific Information Analyst     Internet: rgranet at cas.org
Biochemistry Department
Chemical Abstracts Service
P.O. box 3012
Columbus, OH 43210

CAS Customer Service: 1-800-753-4227 or by email to: help at cas.org
STN Help Desk: 1-800-848-6533 (in North America) or (+49)7247/808-555 (in
	       Europe) or (+81)3-5214-8413 (in Asia)
Web site at: http://info.cas.org/welcome.html

The views given here are mine only and do not necessarily represent those of
anyone else, Chemical Abstracts Service, or the American Chemical Society.