tobacco seed bank

joseph c winter jwinter at musca.unm.edu
Thu Jan 11 16:10:48 EST 1996

I have a living seed bank at the University of New Mexico, that
specializes in traditional Native American tobacco varieties -- i.e.,
types of tobacco raised and collected by Native Americans, for use in
rituals, offerings, ceremonies, and other traditional contexts.

If you are a Native American and you would like the seeds of your
tribe's tobacco so that you can grow it for religious and other
traditional uses, then contact me, and I will send some seeds (and leaves
if I have them) at no cost. All I ask is that you spread the word about
the seed bank.

Also, if you seeds of one or more traditional Native American tobacco
types, please send me some, so that I can add them to the bank. I will
then grow them, save the fresh seeds, and send them to other tribal
members, upon request. This service is being offered to any Native
American, as long as he or she agrees to use the resulting tobacco for
traditional purposes. Remember -- tobacco is a powerful plant that kills
when it is not used properly.