Plant watering

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 14:57:26 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #57, from c.stevenson at qub.ac.uk, 932 chars, Fri  12 Jan
1996 19:16:47
> ----------
> Article: 8568 of bionet.plants
> From: c.stevenson at qub.ac.uk (Peter S)
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Plant watering
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 19:16:47
>
> To all you green fingered people,
>
> I was wondering if any of you know any methods, or where I can see/buy
> device which will automatically water a plant as it needs it.
> This would aid me greatly in my GCSE technolgy project, so if any of
you could
> help me out it would be GREATLY appriecated.
>
> Thanks
>   Peter Stevenson
>
> --------
> Mail to: c.stevenson at qub.ac.uk
There are devices which assess the drying out of the atmosphere by the
change in resistance of a device which relates electrical conductivity
to moisture. This then sets off a relay which activates a pump which
sprays water over the plants. In my day as a student they were referred
to as "fairy lavatories" because of the delicate fine spray they
produced.

More realistically, why not use the time honoured method of allowing the
 moisture tension in drying out soil (or compost) to cause water to be
drawn up a substantial "wick" from a reservoir of water below the plant.
This can be made quite nicely quantitative   (more or less) by having
the reservoir calibrated and by recording the amount of water necessary
to top up the reservoir. BUT you must have a good control set of
unplanted soil to allow for the evaporation from the soil/compost
surface.
Dr Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,(yes there is such a thing !!)
The University of Reading,
Reading, U.K.

AKA P.J.Harris at reading.ac.uk

We also have some wicked computer simulations (home-grown) which model
water loss from soils of various types under various climatic conditions
with various types of plant.
Now then - cap that !