What's an easy way to create free radicals in plant cells

Sami Kohan skohan at ucla.edu
Fri Jan 19 02:37:47 EST 1996

I'm helping a jr. high student with her science fair project. She got an
experiment out of a book which called for infecting plants with
agrobacterium tumefaciens(sorry if I slaughtered the spelling), and see
what effects beta-carotene and/or other anti-oxidants might bave. I
realized the this was a pretty stupid experiment in that anti-oxidants
aren't going to have much of an effect on a tumour caused by a
plasmid(someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I was thinking of using
UV light or some chemical means(if I remember my organic chemistry,
doesn't hydrogen peroxide cause free radicals?). I was wondering if anyone
had suggestions on either of these methods or something else I hadn't
thought of. Thanks.