Houseplants purifying the air

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 16:09:07 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #230, from fmchow at adan.kingston.net, 920 chars, Sun  28
Jan 1996 09:45:01
> ----------
> Article: 8741 of bionet.plants
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> From: fmchow at adan.kingston.net (Put your full name here)
> Subject: Houseplants purifying the air
> Sender: usenet at mail.kingston.net (uucp)
> Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 09:45:01 GMT
>
> Hi:
>
> I saw a program on PBS recently about using houseplants to purify the
> air.  It was based a meeting with Dr. Wolverton of NASA.  At one point
> he demonstrated a system which improved the efficiency of the plant
> purification by 25 times (or at least that's what I think he said).
>
> Can anyone give me more information on this?

Hello,
Why not try an old trick of British ale-houses of a few centuries
ago which was to hang up a bale of straw or hay. All you are doing is
presenting a huge surface area for pollutants to attach to. Even better,
doesn't need watering. The "purification" by extra oxygen production of
an indoor plant would probably take very sophisticated equipment to even
measure.
Peter Harris,
Reading Univ. U.K.
(you don't know what we know until you ask).