Tiny White bugs ??

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 31 17:29:14 EST 1996

In <4en5o6$f4g at newsbf02.news.aol.com> joesbbq at aol.com (Joesbbq) writes:

>These bugs are about 1/16", seems to have started in supposedly
sterile
>soil !
>
>I have small young Hot Pepper seedlings, grown from mother plant
(whihc
>has since died, after trying commercial bug spray). I  Have tried some
>detergent/water but that didn't seem to work..... Any suggestions ????

The only one that comes to mind is the "ash fly". They pierce the plant
to feed on its fluids. Ash flies cannot be controlled with Sevin
(carbaril) wich is harmless to warm blooded beings. However carbaril is
a digestive insecticide, and will not control the ash fly. Try a very
mild contact poison from any nursery. Don't go as far as diazanone, for
it has a prolongued half-life. Use dishwater detergent in the spray
mix. It destroys the "surface tension" of the water and allows the
coating to spread evenly. ALWAYS use detergent for that purpose when
applying spray on plants, either insecticide or herbicide. Hope this
helps........:)..Micro.