vital stain for protoplasts

Charles S Buer buer at WPI.EDU
Wed Jan 31 16:04:24 EST 1996

Tony--

Several dyes work on the exclusionary basis.  Trypan blue, Evan's blue,
and phenosafranine should all work.  I have only used trypan blue.  I
plan to test the other two, but haven't received them as yet.
Fluorescein diacetate could also be used, but a UV light source is
necessary to observe the fluorescence of viable cells.
REF:  Widholm, J.M. 1972.  Stain Technology. 189-194.  They are all
available from Sigma.  I don't know about neutral red.

Charles Buer
Biology/Biotechnology Dept.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester, MA