Question - Ficus Benj. bears fruit??

Doug Scofield doog at
Mon Jul 1 10:37:44 EST 1996

In article <fictitious.261.0004BDC5 at alias.incognito.myob>, fictitious at alias.incognito.myob (ima pseudonym) writes:
|> In article <4r7ijg$shi at> jjy at (James Yorton) writes:
|> >I have a Ficus Benj. that appears to be bearing some type of
|> >little berries.  They're green and appear in pairs.
|> Most varieties of home garden edible fig tree are parthenocarpic,  ripening
|> without pollination & without any viable seeds.

Just as a side note on _Ficus benjamina_, it is one of the common landscape
trees here in South Florida, my apt. complex has several planted along the
drives.  From what i heard, the pollinator wasp has finallly made it to
Florida in the past few years.  Having seen seedling _F. benjamina_ sprouting
from _Sabal palmetto_ boots i'd have to agree.  We may have another problem
tree on our hands...

doug scofield                                       doog at
boca raton, florida                           also doog at
           every day we starve while we eat white bread and
           beer instead of a handshake or hug -- jewel