Eucalyptus -- "snow-euc"

Mr Gm Rayner [bot] 55634 Gerry.Rayner at sci.monash.edu.au
Tue Jun 4 02:26:42 EST 1996

Sigma asks about snow-eucs

> I am seeking information about a species of Eucalyptus grown in
> Australia, in the hills near Melbourne I am told, locally known as
> Snow-Eucs.  I recently saw a photograph of some growing in the snow.
> I would like to correspond with knowledgable Australians on the
> subject.

The plants you enquire about are Snow Gums - also known as White
Sallee (Eucalyptus pauciflora), and they are actually distributed in
alpine and sub-alpine snow-gum woodlands (1500 - 2100 m alt) from
the Central Highlands (east of Melbourne) to southern Qld.  There are
also a number of disjunct populations of the species in other parts
of Victoria, including the Grampians Ranges, Mornington Peninsula,
and central Victoria (remnants of a more widespread distribution ex
the last glaciation)

Hope this is of help.
GR.
this is of help