Dutch Elm Disease Treatment

Frits v/d Laan f.vd.laan at inter.nl.net
Fri Jun 7 13:43:52 EST 1996

In article <4p1hbi$8cb at acme.freenet.columbus.oh.us>, rcharles at freenet.columbus.oh.us (Robert Charles) says:

>Does anyone know of a treatment for Dutch Elm Disease.
>
>I have six 5 yr old trees in my yard and would like to save them.
>What is the nature of the disease and it's carrier?

It's a fungus that damages the tree and by trying to undo the damage
the tree kills itself by distorting the waterflow upwards so the leaves
will dry out.
The fungus is spread by small beetles wich live under the bark of the tree.

As far as I know there is no real cure. Here in Holland sick trees are felled
by the thousands.

Frits v/d Laan
Biologische boomkwekerij
Gouda