need help on photosintesis

Larry Daley daleyl at bcc.orst.edu
Fri Jun 7 12:23:18 EST 1996

Manuel:

First don't panic grasp the basics. There are two components of
photosynthesis the light reaction and the dark reaction.  The light
reaction takes energy from the sunlight and converts it to special forms
of chemical energy.  The light reaction also splits water to give off
oxygen.  The reason why we can live on this planet is this free oxygen.
The dark reaction fixes carbon dioxide (CO2) into sugars.  That is where
essencially all biological materials come from.

Now as to more complex stuff, like the Z-scheme which is only an idea, not a
reality, and the Calvin Cycle I suggest you read:

Lincoln Taiz and Eduardo Zeiger 1991. Plant Physiology Benjamins/Cummings
Redwood City, California.

You should be able lto find this in any university library or bookstore.
At first take it easy and only hit the high points, then go back several
times for details.  If you have specific questions just e-mail me again.
If you feel more comfortable do this in Spanish.

best wishes

Larry Daley Garcia-I~niguez