Michael L Roginsky d_micro at
Sat Jun 8 17:00:54 EST 1996

In <4p05u6$bse at> A.Petrie at (Anita
Petrie) writes:
>In article
<mgarcia-3105960955210001 at>,
>mgarcia at says...
>>Hi, we our a couple of Mt. Shasta High School Students doing a
>>report.  We are looking for research/information on trees.  Our
>>have to do with planting, thinning and spacing of trees per acre in a
>>forest.  How does thinning effect a trees growth?  My report is based
>>mainly on Pondarosa Pines. And, How does spacing effect a trees
>>If you could send us some information we would really appreciate it.
>>Thanks a lot.
>>Kami Gray
>>Mandy Garcia
>If you are interested in an agroforestry  point of view you might want
>check out the agroforestry newsgroup, and also try to find some
>articles about the "Nelder Wheel' which is a field trial to determine
>optimum spacing between trees that gives best growth in both the
>and the trees.
>otherwise check out your local/state forestry department they would
>everything you need
According to the forestry yearbook 1949, Ponderosa pines grown to full
maturity need 60 feet spacing. If you are thinning an established
stand, some of these might be too spindly to do well even if the
spacing is provided. Best practice is to clear-cut and replant.
Seedlings are available from the forestry department.

Micro, alive and not a microbe!